[r-t] Terms of truth

Joe Norton strainsteamford0123456789+ringingtheory at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 20:28:21 UTC 2015

Philip Earis wrote:
> It's an interesting area - as you say, truth can be defined in many (surprisingly many?) ways. Richard Smith wrote a very interesting overview on this list a few years ago...have you seen this thread in the archive? Richard's outline thinking was also added to the Ringing Wiki at:
>
> http://wiki.changeringing.co.uk/Shades_of_Truth

Thank you all for your comments. I found Richard Smith's article very
interesting, it really goes to show how many different ways truth can be
defined in different contexts.

Has an "extent" of 20,160 Little Bob Major ever been rung? It seems like
something that should be done at least once before the human race
becomes extinct.

It also brings me back to a question I asked after a peal a year or two
back: Is it possible to ring a 2,880 of Surprise Minor where each change
appears once each at each position of the treble? That is to say that,
for example, 135246 appears once at the treble's backstroke snap, once
at the handstroke snap and at each of the lead end positions. Further
than this, is it possible in general for any treble bob method
(symmetric or asymmetric). If not, what are the conditions for being
able to do it? It may be very trivial, but I haven't managed to come up
with an answer myself.

Thanks,
Joe.