[r-t] Terms of truth

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jul 19 04:30:30 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> A happy related property is that when you are ringing treble dodging
> minor you are only ever one call away from rounds (whatever course
> you might currently be ringing you can get to one of the 4 courses
> that contains rounds in just one call).

I suspect Philip may have implied this, but it's probably worth
stating explicitly: a further happy property is that such MEBs are
true even to methods lacking both the usual palindromic symmetry and
the usual flow of in and out of course rows, for which the usual
extents, and even 1,440s, may not be true.

"[Carl Ernst] von Bagge was a composer of modest talent as well as a
violinist who so liked to teach that he paid his pupils on a sliding
scale, with their wages rising as they progressed. Among his nominal
protégés were some of the era's most distinguished players, including
Viotti and Kreutzer, who evidently managed to keep a straight face
while being instructed, and welcomed a bit of extra cash."
     -- David Schoenbaum, _The Violin: A Social History_