[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 8 - Cinques

Jack Gunning jack.gunning at mac.com
Wed Jun 17 14:45:59 UTC 2015

Mark, I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you had in mind:

I wanted to call an easy LB every course peal (as Alexander noted it was composed with the non-mega conductor in mind).

The composition was enjoyed by the band, it is a little bit different and fun.  It drew complements afterwards. Colin said it was one of the most interesting comps of S11 he'd rung.  The clever bit is, of course, the Q block - I just joined it together as simply as I could using fixed back-bell positions I enjoy.  I really like inverted tit-tums and some of best ringing was in this part (I put it in the middle of the comp to maximise the chances of this).

I had decided that I wouldn't be able to watch all the bells all of the time or to reliably transpose all of the course ends/orders on the fly, but that knowing the course ends were coming up right would be enough.  I therefore learnt the c/os [before] or (after) the course ends as follows, where - denotes a back bell:

[6-2-3145] 23146578E90
[6-4-3215] 43216578E90 s9 s16 18
[6-3-1425] 31426578E90 s16 18
(64235-1)  25416378E90 7 s9 s16 s18
(24531-6)  51462378E90 s14 s16 s18
(13542-6)  52361478E90 s7 s14 s16 s19
(53246-1)  26315478E90 s14 s16 s18
[6-2-1435] 21436578E90 s7 s14 s16 s18 19

All of which are memorable for their own reasons (similarity with plain course, 4321, 32-nm, LB5 orders, round at hand).

I also had a some idea of which bells were affected at the calls, e.g which bell gets stuck at the back at the s14 s16 s18, where three calls work together to swap one pair (s9 s16 s18 in course 3 and s7 s14 s16 in course 5 both swap 12), if you know what the c/o will be before the c/e it is (just) possible (for me) to work out which bells are affected and how at s16 18.

As it happened there were very few mistakes, but I felt comfortable knowing that it was right every 5.5 minutes and that I was calling the correct course.

I rang the 7th which (along with the 8th) is probably the easiest bell to call it off, for the obvious reason that it is only in two positions across the 5 parts.

On a personal note, it wasn't 'my' band, Tim organised the peal after we had lost two previous attempts I organised (unsettled ringing on the run up to the second turning course and then we met short).  There were several people in the band that I haven't rung with before - it's quite fantastic that people will ring to help a stranger.

We were supposed to be ringing at Shoreditch, however, there was a concert on in the church such that we couldn't ring.  We only found this out about about 530pm when we arrived for a 545pm meet.  With a need to start at 615pm latest (to allow those that traveled furthest to get home) Tim and Richard somehow managed to organise everything such that we could start at Magnus at 614pm.  I was extremely grateful not to be involved with the stress and organising. Third time lucky.

Jack