[r-t] Doubles 240s

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Mar 15 14:53:53 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:13 AM, John Harrison <john at jaharrison.me.uk> wrote:
> I don't recall him saying it was necessary (but I haven't looked up the
> archive).  I thought it was an example of a neat way to do it.  It is
> certainly one that might appeal to 'ordinary ringers' because it is simple
> to understand and simple to call.

John is correct. I certainly never intended to imply they are necessary,
just convenient. It is also worth noting that the obvious use of 12345
singles produces a 240 each half of which is a true extent, which some
folks might consider a nice property.

12345 singles also allow the production of some potentially useful
lengths (e.g. 170) not obtainable with just common bobs and 123
singles.

"[Death] did have many of the qualities of a gentleman; he had a place
in the country--a far, dark country--was unfailingly punctual, was
courteous to all those he met--and sooner or later he met everyone--
was well if soberly dressed, at home in any company, and,
proverbially, a good horseman."    -- _Thief of Time_ ,
           by Terry Pratchett, who himself met Death on Thursday