[r-t] Doubles 240s

John Camp camp at bellringers.org
Thu Mar 19 15:12:46 UTC 2015

At 14:55 on 19 March 2015, Alexander Holroyd wrote:

> In my experience, many people have a real mental block about the
> rather straightforward concept outlined above (and John is
> illustrating this perfectly).

No, no, no!  I understand exactly what the concept is (at, least,
within the limits of my own ratiocinative abilities).  That isn't the
problem.

If someone wants to call a frying-pan an umbrella, then fine.  But
most people don't, and to do so is likely to cause confusion,
especially when the discussion is about cooking an omelette.

What this debate is actually a perfect illustration of is something
which I've said more than once on this list: most arguments are
about defining terms.

JEC