[r-t] Doubles 240s

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Mar 20 18:44:08 UTC 2015

At the risk of further annoying those who'd prefer this discussion moved
on to something deeper than mere choice of names:

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM, John Fisher <ghoti at mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> In that light, are we sure that that 'change ringing' doesn't really mean
> 'row ringing' (as opposed to 'tune ringing' or 'random clashing about')?  If
> we called ourselves row ringers, would that have any effect on how we felt
> about whether or not the order of the bells varied between one change and
> the next?

Or, even if we continue to call ourselves "change" ringers, why does
that have to mean exclusively "those who change the order of the bells
every row" rather than "those who change the order of the bells
sometimes" or "frequently" or "nearly every row"?

"When I was eighteen I left home to go to the London School of
Economics. My course was law, and my burning desire for equity
made me peculiarly unsuited for the subject."
                           -- Hilary Mantel, _Giving Up the Ghost_