[r-t] Doubles 240s

Ted Steele teds.bells at tesco.net
Thu Mar 26 12:19:35 UTC 2015

On 26/03/2015 10:41, Alexander Holroyd wrote:
> OK, I have a suggestion.  Those who are concerned about this deep and
> troublesome issue can use the following two terms from now on:
>
> 1. "Identity change in a type of performance..;. etc

Can we go back to null change please? Identity change sounds like it has
a clear meaning that is understood by mathematicians but it has no
obvious meaning to me and I suspect to most ringers who are not also
mathematicians. Null change, whatever its failings as a technical term
does at least suggest exactly what is at issue in this discussion.

Use of the null change in the background of change-ringing theory may
indeed have many valuable benefits, but that does not of itself justify
encouraging its unfettered use in performances. We could all too soon
have the ringing parallel of John Cage's so called musical work "Four
Minutes of Silence". It's hard to condemn this when, after all the pause
is a perfectly acceptable musical device.

Ted