[r-t] A practical (well, sort of) extension question

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat May 2 03:18:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> PABS:
> > I would venture that most rung methods do not extend, because most rung
> > methods have plain bob lead heads, and G(B)5 requires that the extension
> > must also...
>
> Aaargh! This is a seriously slavish, back-to-front way of looking at
> things.
>
> The Decisions are a human-written framework produced by individuals
> (flawed, as we all are) according to their peculiar worldview. They
> are not some axiomatically correct divine truth.

In PABS defense, I did ask "which, if any, of the following
asymmetric, non-PB-leadend treble dodging major methods have
extensions to a higher stage (not necessarily royal)? CC-algorithm or
the more fecund PABS-algorithm, as you choose". I think that was
asking a question for which G(B)5 would disqualify potential
extensions. That is, I was spcifically asking about what happens when
the algorithms currently under discussion are applied, not what is a
suitable extension (whatever that means, if anything).

And I thank him for his clear answer, regarding what his informed
intuition tells him.

"When it comes to rare probabilities, our mind is not designed to get
things quite right. For the residents of a planet that may be exposed
to events on one has yet experienced, this is not good news."
    -- Daniel Kahneman, _Thinking, Fast and Slow_