[r-t] Writing method display software

Alan Burlison alan.burlison at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:18:46 UTC 2015

> As someone brougfht up iin the procedural age of computing, I have to
> admit that his interesting discussion of modern programming languages
> had provoked the repeated thought - but what machine level code do
> they generate and is it efficient? :-)

Python is compiled at startup into platform-independent bytecode which is
interpreted at run time by a C program, it doesn't generate machine code.

Scala is precompiled to Java bytecode which the JVM executes. The JVM is
written in C++ and has a JIT which generates machine code on the fly, based
on usage patterns.

C++ compiles directly to machine code.

Modern compilers are very smart, to the point where only platform specific
or the most performance critical code is hand crafted assembler. Typical
operating systems only contain a few percent of assembler for example.