[r-t] Writing method display software

David Richards dadeece at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:48:08 UTC 2015

Whilst this shouldn't turn into a discussion on computer languages and
implementation ...

On 29 November 2015 at 13:18, Alan Burlison <alan.burlison at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python is compiled at startup into platform-independent bytecode which is interpreted at run time by a C program, it doesn't generate machine code.

There are alternatives - PyPy and Jython both attempt to be fully
compliant Python implementations with run with their own JIT
compilation on the the JVM (respectively), therefore hopefully
avoiding some of the runtime bytecode interpretation performance
issues of vanilla Python. I've never done a project in Python which is
that performance critical that I've needed to bother looking for those
incremental improvements.

I can't remember whether it has been mentioned in the context of this
conversation, but there is a set of Python bindings for the Ringing
Class Library at https://github.com/ringing-lib/ringing-lib-python.

As several people have alluded to, implementation efficiency probably
isn't the key to solving this problem.

Cheers,
Dave.