[r-t] ringing related paper

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Sep 4 20:29:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Philip Earis wrote:

> Prof. Holroyd:
> "Here is a mathematics paper related to change ringing theory that people
> might be amused to see.  The main result can be interpreted as: any
> permutation may be achieved by a link method with a bounded number of changes
> of direction for each bell, regardless of the stage (specifically, 10 changes
> of direction per bell is enough)..."
>
> Interesting.  What is the maximum number of changes of direction a bell needs
> at stages 8, 10, 12?  What permutations at these stages require the maximum
> changes of direction?

Good questions.  I don't know the answer to these.  They could be answered
by exhaustive search.  Furthermore we don't know whether 8 or 6 changes of
direction per bell suffice at every stage (10 is just the upper bound we
can prove).  There are permutations that require 6 changes of direction
for some bell.

A related fact is that every permutation on 6 or fewer bells can be
achieved with at most 4 changes of direction per bell - indeed, each bell
only needs to hunt up at most once and down at most once.  We have a
precise characterization of all permutations that can be achieved by such
a method at every stage (but it is quite complicated).  See ourother
paper, reference [4].