[r-t] Old doubles collection

Richard Johnston johnstonrh at amen.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 09:32:55 UTC 2016

Hi Don

Did you get any answers to this question?

I don't have the collection you want, but, I have located the
collection of doubles methods that I have got, which is the 1961 2nd
edition.

Its preface gives some insight on the questions you ask.  I have
attached an ocred copy.

Towards the end of the preface, read particularly the paragraph
starting "We regret the disappearance of some of the older
methods..."  I also note that they gratuitously changed some existing
methods (e.g. Antelope) to suit their prejudices.

It was "issued under the authority of the Council" - says it all
about their attitude.

As for date of CC decision change, this obviously gives a later
bound, and probably the decision is not much earlier.

http://www.methods.org.uk/archive/ccr1955.htm

says that in 1954 " That, in future, all peals not conforming to the
CouncilĀ“s decisions will not be included in the Analysis; they will,
however, if sent, be published in The Ringing World."  So decision
must surely be after that.

There was another set of big changes to doubles methods in the late
1960s if I recall correctly, which disnamed variations like April
Day.

I you have found a copy of the 1st edn, I'd be interested in seeing a
copy.

Yours

Richard