[r-t] Old doubles collection

Peter Hinton peter at hinton.me.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:36:15 UTC 2016

Don wrote:
> My understanding is that in the 1950s or 1960s the Central Council
> published a collection of doubles methods that included some that it now
> disavows, such as Caunton.
Caunton is first specified on page 243 of the Ringing World of 28 March 1969
(attached).  (NB there is a mistake in the place notation for Pembrokeshire,
subsequently corrected on page 342)
It appears to have been rung in a peal at Shelford (Nottinghamshire) on 21 Dec
1968, published on page 128.

He asked:
> Also, does anyone know when and why the Council changed its rules to
> exclude Caunton and the like?
On page 480 of the RW of 20 June 1969, an update to the Decisions from that
year's Central Council meeting at St Albans includes:
"In the plain course, no bell shall make more than four consecutive blows in the
same position, this requirement not applying to Minimus methods."
This also appears in the minutes at
http://www.methods.org.uk//archive/ccm1969.htm

Peter