[r-t] Jump change methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Apr 5 12:15:57 UTC 2016

Many thanks also to the folks that have replied on this thread.​​

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Hayden Charles <hcharles at grandsire.co.uk>
wrote:
> 'Adopted on the proposition of Mr. F. B. Lufkin, seconded by Mr. C.
> H. Rogers, after a proposal by Mrs. A. Newing on behalf of the
> Bristol University Society that a 5040 of Treble Jump Minor be
> recognised had failed to obtain a seconder

How sad that there was no one willing even to second the motion. I guess
the CUG must have been more staid back then. :-)

> 'Mr. F. M. Mitchell, seconded by Mr. B. L. Burrows, proposed that a
> peal of Cambridge Surprise Minor rung at Strensham in 1977 and
> rejected by the Council in 1979 on the recommendation of the Peals
> Analysis Committee, should be referred back with an instruction to
> the committee either to accept it or to propose a change of Rule.

This certainly piqued my interest. Curiously, I can find no mention of it
in the Council's 1979 report, though it does seem to have been discussed,
though without any resolution I could see, at the 1978 meeting. Its
"defect" was that it was a round block of 5,040--when ringing a peal of a
single minor method today that sort of construction is certainly popular
today, possibly more commonly rung these days than seven extents of the
same method.

"In that war for the conquest of knowledge the central battle is
that of life against death-a battle which individually is always
lost and collectively is regularly won."
         -- Will and Ariel Durant, _The Age of Reason Begins_