[r-t] Triples composition question

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Jul 11 19:26:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> Indeed, I'm a bit curious as to what else one might construe a "4"
> as? (Smiley thing).

It seemed the most likely (more so than, say, 345), but I'd not seen that
elision of exterior places at odd stages before. It particularly struck me
as in writing a place notation parser myself I considered supporting that,
and decided that it would be more likely to cause confusion than not, since
I'd never seen it used. Now I have. Looking forward to seeing place
notation 24 someday, too :-)

"From the outset, philosophy, metaphysics have
circled mathematics like a frustrated hawk."
        -- George Steiner, _The Poetry of Thought_