[r-t] One more thing Re: uncovered triples (was Unclassified)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Jun 6 11:20:31 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:11 AM, Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com>
wrote:
> You may not like Lincolnshire Major, but the following are plus points

I was, of course, not saying folks shouldn't ring it. I believe folks
should ring whatever they like. I was trying to imply, in vaguely humorous
fashion, that  "if someone is going to claim folks shouldn't ring uncovered
triples 'cause it's not to many people's tastes, then consistency demands
he claim folks shouldn't ring Lincolnshire 'cause it's also not to many
people's tastes."

Though, in truth, I do generally try to avoid arranging peal attempts of it
myself, when practical. But, if asked to ring in a peal of it, I don't ever
answer "hell no, I'd never do that!"

> Music available in a peal is comparable to Cambridge

I don't think this one is really true -- you have to jump through hoops to
get much music off the front in Lincolnshire Major, but you can get a
modest amount easily in Cambridge Major. Though if you're going to measure
worth by music, Cambridge is a pretty low bar to aim at :-)

> At most only two places made at any change
> Adjacent places only at half-lead and lead-end

Why do these make things easier for an inexperienced band? I can see them
making it more attractive for those whose tastes deride such things, but I
think adjacent places are actually *easier* for the inexperienced than
bells whipping to and fro and requiring a bit more effort at ropesight.

Apart from the adjacent places one, all the virtues you cite for
Lincolnshire are present in Yorkshire, and it *does* have musical
possibilities comparable and superior both to Cambridge and to
Lincolnshire, as well as have the coursing order well preserved for more of
the course, which is a significant boon to less experienced bands.

Even Gainsborough is the equal or superior of Lincolnshire on the measures
you cite, apart from adjacent places: in particular, a far wider variety of
tenors together, bobs only peals are possible.

One virtue of Lincolnshire you don't cite, but that it has and Yorkshire
does not share: that quintuple dodge on the front really does make the
method hold together surprisingly well for a less experienced handbell bell
tackling surprise major. In my experience it is actually easier for such a
band to get a quarter of Lincolnshire than one of Yorkshire (of course,
YMMV). Though, once you start going for peal lengths the awkward falseness
of Lincolnshire reduces the number of courses available with the inside
pairs coursing, which complicates things a bit.

And, of course, it is worth noting that at higher stages Lincolnshire does
become more musical, is CPS, and preserves the at most two places property
which, say, Yorkshire does not!

And I don't believe Cambridge above methods are easier for inexperienced
bands than, say, Cornwall. They are easier for bands that have rung a lot
of Cambridge above methods. And since the tradition seems to be you start
with Cambridge, that reinforces that odd prejudice. Folks I know that have
started their surprise major careers with Cornwall (yes such do exist!)
find it far easier than any of the so called standard eight.

"For me there's nothing offbeat. What passes for normal is very
strange to me."
   -- Peter Sellars, program notes for _The Children of Herakles_