[r-t] Dixon & Dawson

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Wed Jun 8 08:35:30 UTC 2016

Glenn said "... I can't immediately think of a DIXON/DAWSON parallel."

I thought about this earlier and how about this for a possible route? As
we all know, each district of the country would have had their own
particular dialect and pronunciation. The person who would have firstly
written down any 'surname' would have been the local parson who would
have done the best he could with what he heard. Vowel sounds have
changed over time and had local variants. When I was young, my
grandparents would have said 'Mester', not 'Mister', for 'Man' as in
"see that mester over there." It may be be the case that Graeme was the
way the locals thought Graham should be spelt in Glenn's example.

It is not a question of whether the names are different, it is a
question of correct transmission. It could come down to whoever gave and
was given the intructions for the peal board in quo. It won't be the
first time! (I can think a mistake in at least two in the same tower).

Just a thought