[r-t] Dixon & Dawson

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Jun 8 12:30:01 UTC 2016

​On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Robert Bennett <rbennett1729 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The general opinion (which I shared) was that the soundex was
> useless

​​For what little it's worth, the search in ringing.org uses a similar,
though supposedly slightly better, phonetic algorithm (metaphone or double
metaphone, I think, though I'm not in a position to check the sources right
now) for method names when it can't find a good match based just on the
spelling. The results are sometimes hilariously far removed from what you
might expect.

"It would be a mistake to back off and censor our kooks. The freedom
to be an imbecile is one of our core values."
    -- Nicholas D. Kristof, _The New York Times_, 23 September 2012