[r-t] Dixon & Dawson

Robert Bennett rbennett1729 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:18:37 UTC 2016

In the 1990s, I used to do a lot of looking up surnames on a computer
database while trying to interpret doctors' handwriting on laboratory
forms. The general opinion (which I shared) was that the soundex was
useless. It would be worse than useless dealing with dialects in 18th
century England.
Dixon or Dickson probably come from Richard/Dick, and Dawson probably comes
from David/Davey.
On the subject of Dawson, the solicitor Charles Dawson was the discoverer
and fabricator of the Piltdown man. He also had a  bad name for plagiarism,
but as far as I know was not a ringer.
RB