[r-t] CCCBR meeting

Ian Partridge ian at poncho.org.uk
Tue May 31 15:35:47 UTC 2016

On 31 May 2016 at 08:42, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> I want a new methods website with shiny new
> features and webservices, hosted centrally, i.e. not under the control of
> one person. I want to design it so that different protocols for method
> classification and extension can be plugged in; it should be possible to say
> "what did methods look like with the classification rules in force in 1967?"
> and "what do methods look like with this new classification protocol I've
> just invented"?
>
> Of course there ought to be the standard lookup features, including some
> convenient RESTful webservices for apps to use. I'd like to populate the
> database automatically from the incoming Bellboard feed. One of the other
> methods committee guys was saying, wouldn't it be cool if we could do some
> visualisations, like live mapping of the geographical distribution of where
> new methods are rung?
>
> However, I don't think we can do this on our own, because there's a fair bit
> of work involved, so we will need help from the wider technical ringing
> community. I think it should be a lot of fun, though!

Have you seen https://complib.org/ ? It is excellent. Could Graham
John be co-opted and CompLib be developed as the new official home of
the methods collections?

Could it be combined with the composition collections at
http://ringing.org/ to create one home for methods and compositions on
the web, developed collaboratively on GitHub (see
https://github.com/cccbr )

Teamwork needed!

--
Ian Partridge