[r-t] Consultation

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Wed Apr 12 05:46:17 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I cannot see the problem here. Write out a course of PB on any even
number of bells and the treble's backstroke lead are the rows we seek.
Any other method on the same number of bells has Plain Bob leads if its
first treble backstroke lead is one of these from PB.

Don seems to be grasping at straws here. Most ringers *do not know* and
probably *care even less* that Cambridge, for example, is Group b. In
every area of life, there are conventions. It is a convention that PB &
Grandsire are the exceptions which prove the rules, as it were. Yes,
this is for historical reasons and they got it wrong, but the only crime
they are guilty of is not seeing the future. When they thought about
ringing Single Oxford on 7, they had to add a hunt bell to avoid having
12 blows at the back which, in spite of the recent change in Decisions,
most would probably not choose to ring. I thought Americans
wereenamouredof English history anyway. After all, their national anthem
is an old English drinking tune written down by someone who is buried in
Gloucester Cathedral! Like so much of this, if we were doing it now, we
wouldn’t start from here – but that’s life.

More seriously, on rules. I have read that place notation was ‘invented’
by GabrielLindoff(fl. c1900). The Cambridge rule has been stated as
dodge-3, miss-2, dodge-3 on 10 bells, but you have to remember that
there are places in there and you still have to learn the first, middle
and last leads. However, the first peal of CS10 was in 1822 – long
before place notation. How was the method generated? I doubt whether it
was from this rule because documents we can read from the time always
want to use 12 words where one would do. It seems to me that a simple
rule would have been alien to them.

b.t.w., as far as I can see, AB’s 4-rules are correct – but we were
talking about a *simple* way of ringing the method – like the one for
Yorkshire. You saw the incredibly non-easy rule PRK gave for Albanian!
You don’t learn a rule which is more complicated than learning the line.
(It looked like a three-volume novel, rather than a simple rule.) Not
all methods have easy rules - or even rules at all - for ringing them.

Best wishes
Robin