[r-t] Consultation

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 13:00:38 UTC 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 12:42, Roddy Horton <roddy at horton.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I cannot confirm this but I do have a copy of the 1961 edition and this uses G for Plain Bob, H for Double Bob etc.

The fifth edition using those letters was published in 1969. In 1979
the Council published a much more comprehensive collection of treble
dodging Minor Methods, including unrung methods, which didn't use
letters at all, it just listed the leadheads.

The CC Methods Committee "A Collection of Surprise Methods in place
notation" of 1964 [which didn't include Minor] states "In choosing the
code-letters we have largely followed Corrigan because these letters
have acquired a certain familiarity. This system was first devised for
the Plain Major collection of 1926, but when it was extended to Royal
and Maximus the additional letters did not fit into the scheme quite
so well. Moreover these letters are not commonly used. Therefore we
have taken the opportunity of adopting a different system for these by
using only the Major letters a to f and g to m, but adding suffices
c1, c2, d1, d2, j1, j2 and k1, k2."

Graham