[r-t] Lead head codes

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Apr 14 21:41:26 UTC 2017

​On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM, <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> All you need to know for a method is which bell pivots (4), and that
> tells you everything else.
>
> An isolated "e" tells you nothing, and looking up "e" tells you
> merely what the first leadhead is.
>
> It's a bit of a stretch to claim labelling something as "e" instead
> of "4" or "4,12" is a more intuitive and meaningful system. And with
> the present system it completely makes makes a balls up of eg bob
> triples as Don points out.

But in this regard your system really isn't so great, either, as Plain Bob
has a different code at *every* stage.

In any case, my point in starting all this was "be careful, I'm not so sure
discussing just what 'Plain Bob lead heads' means is as trivially easy as
you may think." The volume of subsequent discussion seems to support this
point. :-)
​​

"Curae leves loquuntur ingentes stupent" -- Seneca the Younger,
_Phaedra_  (Slight griefs talk, great ones are speechless)