[r-t] Lead end groups

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Apr 15 12:45:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:40 AM, John David <johnedavid at hotmail.com> wrote:
> eg ?only 8 for each of 12,14,16, and 18
> lead ends of major,

That assumes a single hunt bell, always the treble, not a differential
method (in either the tight or loose case, pace Mark), and the usual
palindromic symmetry. While I've not double checked I suspect there have
been, to within an order of magnitude, the same number of methods rung
violating these constraints as there have been major methods with 14 or 16
lead ends. If so, what gives the latter precedence as a property to be
accommodated?

"For more than two generations the main, if not the only, function of
the word ether has been to furnish a nominative case to the verb 'to
undulate.'"   -- Lord Salisbury, _Evolution: A Retrospect_ (1894)