[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Wed Apr 19 23:55:07 UTC 2017

Alan wrote,

> I thought the restriction on methods having to have more than one lead was
> being done away with too... is that not the case?
> So will single "lead" entities still be "blocks"?

Yes. We did consider trying to introduce single-lead methods this year,
but I think it needs to wait for the proper job in 2018. There are some
conceptual difficulties. For instance, the difference between hunt bells
and working bells breaks down in the single-lead case, but this
distinction is currently fundamental to our classification system. How
to best resolve this?

Also I do still wonder if there is some validity in the philosophical
argument that methods must have structure, formed by repeating units. On
the other hand, it would be nice to ring single-lead methods, and have,
for example, 12 Bristol Major treated the same as 18. Some circles to be
squared first, though.