[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 17:50:37 UTC 2017

On 20 April 2017 at 19:21, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:

> That's a false dichotomy. You can have a classification system that you
> apply in situations in which you find it useful, and don't in situations for
> which it is not useful.
>
> Consider "things". We're perfectly happy to classify "things" by color.
> Rocks. Red or green apples. Blue or black cars. But, at the same time, there
> are plenty of "things" that we do not classify by color. Electrons. The
> concept of justice. Classification systems.

That is description, not classification. Rocks for example are
classified as Igneous, Metamorphic or Sedimentary. Things are either
in a class, or they are not. It is binary and not optional. What we
can do in the case of method classes, is change which properties
determine some of the classes and also decide whether the class name
must be included in the title. Not assigning a class or sub-class to
some groups of methods is also an option, if that's what you mean by
situations where it is not useful.

Graham