[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Apr 20 18:21:04 UTC 2017

​On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
wrote:
> you either keep a classification system and apply it consistently,
> or you get rid of it altogether.

That's a false dichotomy. You can have a classification system that you
apply in situations in which you find it useful, and don't in situations
for which it is not useful.

Consider "things". We're perfectly happy to classify "things" by color.
Rocks. Red or green apples. Blue or black cars. But, at the same time,
there are plenty of "things" that we do not classify by color. Electrons.
The concept of justice. Classification systems.

​​

"The story is the realest part of the storyteller. Who cares about the
color of Coleridge's socks?"
        -- James Tiptree Jr, letter to to Jeffrey Smith