[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Glenn Taylor gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 19:54:11 UTC 2017

Me:

> I have often wondered whether it was Roger [Leigh] who first had the
> idea for 7-part compositions but Norman who exploited the idea to its
> fullest.

Graham (quoting Neil Bennett in RW 30-Mar-2007)

---
"He [Norman Smith] remembered that the Lancashire Association Report for 1964 contained three novel Plain Bob Major compositions by that eccentric mathematical genius Roger Leigh of Accrington. They were seven-parts based on a principle that he hadn t seen before, namely that each of the part ends would consist of one of the lead heads of the plain course."   ...   "It appears that Norman was the first to realise that this type of composition might offer a way of putting many more methods into a peal of  all-the-work  Spliced than hitherto."
---

Thanks, Graham. I now wonder whether this is where I first came across the notion and then totally forgot about having read it in this article. Ho hum...

Glenn