[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Jim jimclat at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:35:54 UTC 2017

Glenn Taylor:-

Many moons ago as a teenage ringer I came into frequent contact with the late Roger Leigh, the interesting - if slightly eccentric - tower captain of Accrington who was instrumental in getting the tower augmented to a 12 via 11!. Many years after his early death in about 1978 I became aware of the existence of a 7-part peal of Plain Bob Major that he had composed (the figures for which I have never seen), and as his tower was only a few miles away from Norman Smith's I have often wondered whether it was Roger who first had the idea for 7-part compositions but Norman who exploited the idea to its fullest.

Me:-

I don't have a copy to hand but I recall that there is a 7 part of PB8 by J Holme Pilkington in the 1904 (probably) CC Collection of Peals.

Jim