[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Wed Aug 16 11:21:31 UTC 2017

Hi All,

It seems that the methods RRH gave in the last post are all gp M except
Malpas which is group L. I seem to recall showing some years ago that a
seven-lead spliced-course is only possible with a minimum of three
different lead-end groups. Here is a possible course - CEEFFEE. This is
for 2nds place methods but can be easily re-written JLLMMLL. There can
never be more than four leads of any one group.

CCFFEFF => JJMMLMM is another one.

I hope I've remembered/interpreted this correctly. I'll have a look the
next time I go upstairs.

Best wishes
R.

PS - EFFFFF => LMMMMM is the only suitable 6-lead course.

PPS - up to order of rotation, of course.