[r-t] Blue Line Difficulty

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 29 17:14:45 UTC 2017

​On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
wrote:
> That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I need a metric to assign
> buckets, which can be split into blue line complexity of very low;
> low; medium; high; very high.

I wonder if a low-level, grind over the blue line with a narrow-ish window
computation is the right way to do that? Perhaps something like count up
how many of a few dozen "features" are or are not present might work
better? Seems more cognitively plausible.

For example, having any pointy bits versus having none is a much more
trenchant difference than having four versus six points.

"The public and the press's appetites for prurience far
outweigh their appreciation of prudence."
       -- Charles Blow, _The New York Times, 3 April 2017