[r-t] Blue Line Difficulty

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 29 20:11:54 UTC 2017

​On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM, King, Peter R <peter.king at imperial.ac.uk>
wrote:
> If you miss a dodge in plain bob you just end up at the front (or
> back) a few blows early which is easy to sort out. In other methods
> getting one blow out soon gets you to the wrong end of the change.

I certainly agree with the overall sentiment. Missing Kent places tends to
be benign, often fixed before anyone can tell you you've done it. And
miss-placing the half-lead in Norwich on higher numbers is pleasantly
self-healing. While other methods blow up miserably: it's fascinating how
quickly a trip in the slow work in Stedman Triples can take a band from
sparkling ringing to "stand".

But I'm confused by the details of what you're reporting here. If you are
ringing a blue line, how can being one place out get you to the wrong end
of the row? Surely, it can only get you to any place at all at most one
blow earlier or later than you should have been? Instead it has to be a
whole ensemble of errors merely starting with the one blow off one to get
you to the wrong end of the row? Of course, if you're not ringing a blue
line, but rather building things up from place notation or some other
mental model, or using some other algorithm, then one blow off could get
you going in the wrong direction.

"It's a complicated world, full of misunderstandings. That's
why we have lawyers."        -- David Mamet, _Race_