[r-t] Quarters of Spliced Major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Jan 31 11:37:28 UTC 2017

Roddy Horton wrote:

> It sounds as if this may be a little simple for your needs
> but it used to be in the diary (I can't check as I am in
> Nice and without my diary). We rang it a few times at
> Beckenham about 10 years ago and enjoyed the music.
>
> 1568 Spliced S Major
> BFL/BG/GB/ = 17823456
> 7 part. ATW.

Thanks.  Potentially useful, but as you suggest a little
simple for this particular requirement.  There is a similar
1568 with slightly bizarre part ends in the diary attributed
to you and Hull: BFFBLLG/ = 5786342.  Possibly those part
ends have some charm, but at present it eludes me.

Jonathan Agg wrote:

> We needed some similar quarters building up to Chanders a
> few years ago, and Stephen P and Iain A came up with
> several compositions using Elf and some custom searching.
> We scored a few, and attempted many more!
>
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=405341
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=405503
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=406190
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=405013
>
> I think Iain did a search over the methods in Chanders on
> this plan:
>
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/comp.php?id=33434

Thanks.  They're certainly useful, and I may well be
arranging some quarters along these lines this year.  But
how much merit do they have other than as practices for a
peal of Chandlers?

Chris Adams wrote:

> We recently rang a simple one to try out a cyclic seven
> part. It is easier than what you are looking for, but the
> format may be useful. The plain Bob provides a quick way
> to transition between the cyclic courses leaving five
> leads to be arranged with musical methods. The plain bob
> also includes some runs.
>
>   2345678  RUTLAND
>   -------
>   4263857  SUPERLATIVE
>   3527486  YORKSHIRE
>   7856342  SUPERLATIVE
>   6482735  RUTLAND
> - 7864523  PLAIN BOB
> - 7842635  PLAIN BOB
> - 7823456
>   -------
>   7 PART

Err...  Yes.

Paul Flavell wrote:

> I came up with a quarter based on Beck's best 1280 methods
> which might be of interest:
>
> 1344 6-Spliced Major arr by P J Flavell
>
> Old Peculiar D        2345678
> Muppet Show S         7864523-
> Bristol S             6784523-
> Wormauld's Cut D      8674523-
> Hat and Feathers S    4235678-
> East of Arcadia S     7863542-
>                       5678234-
>
> 7 part.       124 runs of four or more bells

That's certainly of interest.  By choice I'd have perhaps
had a few more standard / semistandard methods, but there's
some variety in the methods chosen.

RAS