[r-t] Calling positions and differential methods

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 08:10:05 UTC 2017

On 12 July 2017 at 00:18, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:

> Isn't -WpHpH-H 1.4, not 1.12?

No, they are calling positions not leads, which I would have expressed as
-pp-. If you wanted to call this touch, calling the observation bob Wrong,
plain Home, plain Home, bob Home is easier to follow when conducting than
counting 11 leads to the next call which is suggested by the lead layout
below (although clear).

96 Don’s Differential Major

  2345678

  -------

  7642583  1

  6235748  11

  -------

> Anyway, am I correct in thinking you are suggesting something like the
following for those three W,H touches?

2345678  W  H
_____________
7362548  -
5367248
6235748     -

In course layout, yes, or more explicitly:

2345678  W  H
7362548  -  p (4)
5367248     p (4)
6235748     - (4)