[r-t] False methods

Tim Barnes tjbarnes23 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 20:17:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Andrew Johnson <andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com>
wrote:

> So consider this plain course:
> X58X14.58X58.36.14X14.58X14X18X14X58.14X14.36.58X58.14X58X12
> X58X14.58X58.36.14X14.58X14X18X14X58.14X14.36.58X58.14X58X12
>
> It is a round block 64 changes long, rather false, but is divisible into
> two parts giving this lead:
> X58X14.58X58.36.14X14.58X14X18X14X58.14X14.36.58X58.14X58X12

Agree the handling of this situation isn't completely clear in today's
Decisions.  As MBD points out, the current Decisions define a method by its
plain course, whereas it would be clearer for the plain lead to be the
defining unit of a method.

However, the method collections do effectively define methods in terms of
one plain lead, since this is what is recorded.  It's then accepted that
the plain course of a method is the number of plain leads that need to be
rung to bring you back to your starting row.

Simplifying Andrew's example, if a method is defined in the collections as
having place notation xx, the plain course of this method would also be xx,
i.e. it would be a method with one lead in its plain course.  (These today
are considered non-method blocks, though, as Don has pointed out
previously, this relies on the "divisible into equal parts" (plural)
language, which isn't entirely unambiguous.)

If you wanted a method to have a plain course xxxx, you would record xxxx
in the collections as the plain lead, and it would also be a method with a
one-lead plain course.  In the current structure of the collections, there
isn't a way to distinguish a method with plain lead xx and plain course xx
from a method with plain lead xx and plain course xxxx, and it doesn't seem
necessary or helpful to be able to support the latter construction.

Actually I think the only block constructions are ones which don't meet
> this: "No bell shall lead or lie continuously for the entire plain course
> of the method."

Agree, this is the other remaining construction (a bell leading or lying
for the full plain lead) that gives a non-method block.