[r-t] Method classification question

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jun 2 12:16:51 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Iain Anderson <iain at 13to8.co.uk> wrote:
> Are you asking "What is the classification using the current rules
> ..." or "What should the classification be using the new (to be
> defined) rules ..."?

Current.

> The current rules won't be around long enough for it to be of concern.

I hope you're right, but there is still a lot of effort required to get
from where we are to where I think we should be, and looking at the
"progress" over the past century and a bit it seems imprudent to declare
victory in advance; just look at how long it's taken to get from DJP's
first peal using a method that, if viewed as having a plain course, has a
false plain course, to being allowed to use such a method without standing
on our heads and whistling backwards.

"The fandango, the academic conference, and the Internet are
superficially different expressions of the same deep force."
          -- Robert Wright, _Nonzero_