[r-t] And another classification question

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 21:05:27 UTC 2017

On 2 June 2017 at 04:36, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> The decisions explicitly state that if a treble dodging hunt bell only
> occupies one dodging position the method is treble bob. So what happens if
> you've got two hunt bells, one in one dodging position only, and the other
> in more than one?
>
> So, for example, is the following major method a Little Treble Bob Method
> (that's what the treble implies), a Little Surprise Method (that's what the
> 6 implies), or a Little Delight Method (that's the fallback case if it's
> neither treble bob nor surprise)?
>
> x34x36x56x23,6

An interesting test case which Complib classifies as a Little Delight
method. I had to look at the code to see why!

As defined in (E).C, it first determines the hunt paths of each of the
hunt bells. In this case there are two treble dodging hunts, both
Little, so both are considered as principal hunt bells. (E).C.2 then
says "Methods with two or more hunt bells are classified using the
definitions and classifications for methods with one hunt bell but
with reference to all the principal hunts". My interpretation of that
clause is that if all principal hunts are Treble Bob it would be
Treble Bob, if all principal hunts are Surprise it would be Surprise,
but in this case one is Treble Bob and one is Surprise, so the result
is Delight.

Graham