[r-t] Lead head codes redux

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Jun 21 13:32:49 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> I suppose another way of looking at this is "are a-m at odd stages
> and p-s at even stages only applicable to methods both of whose
> hunts bells are principal hunts?"

On reflection (pun not intended, at least not originally) I don't think
that that is an equivalent formulation, after all. The following major
method with Grandsire lead heads is alliance with the trebles both
principal hunts, but the apices of their palindromes are Plain Bob-ish, not
Grandsire-ish.
​​
x1x4x234x4x4x2

In fact, I'm now not sure that a coherent definition is even possible: I've
not worked out an example, and may be mistaken, but I think that with
alliance or treble place methods (both of which, in distinction to hybrid
methods, are recorded in the current collections using the lead head codes)
you can even have two different principal hunts whose apices do not
coincide but are rather out of phase with one another. It's also perfectly
possible for an apex in such a method not to be as the hunt bell is leading
at all.

This all seems ill-defined.

"It is a real puzzle for the science of mind why, when an unpleasant
event befalls us--we slice our thumb along with the bagel, or knock
a glass of beer into our lap--the topic of our conversation turns
abruptly to sexuality, excretion or religion."
   -- Steven Pinker, _The Stuff of Thought_