[r-t] Yorkshire Surprise Minor, etc

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Mar 18 18:33:13 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Phillip Barnes <phil at piltdown.org.uk>
wrote:
>  Do our attempts to classify by anything apart from treble course
>  have anything other than an arbitrary basis? What is the argument
>  for their retention?

Mostly, I think, they keep the classifiers employed, and give us
absurdities to argue about.

The one "virtue" I can think of, and I'm sure a less irritating way of
accommodating this could be found, is they do give folks extra namespaces
so three different bands get to call a treble dodging method "Mumble".

Looking at the current crop of absurdities from the other end, it seems
there's another cause of much of the trouble: can someone remind me,
please, why anyone thinks the current rules on extension are A Good Thing?

--
Don Morrison <dfm2 at cmu.edu>
"Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to