[r-t] Extension

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:21:53 UTC 2017

| This will happen anyway, extension or no. ;-)

Yes but extension still encourages it. Most methods that extend don't
usually extend in a way that produces particularly desirable methods on
higher stages. Obviously there are some notable exceptions, again
particularly amongst the standard methods, but I think the best of those
(eg Bristol) would have been found without codified extension rules.

Would people ever ring Superlative S Maximus for instance if it didn't
share it's name with an excellent and well known surprise major method?
Cambridge rapidly losses it's charm on more than 6 in my opinion. Lessness
/ Cornwall / Uxbridge are all quality methods on 8 but their 12-bell
equivalents would be pretty tedious to ring for any purpose other than
maybe the occasional lead in a spliced composition.