[r-t] Methods Committee proposed proposed changes

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Tue Mar 21 09:09:04 UTC 2017

OK, we've been working on what I hope is the last patch to the current
Decisions. At stated previously, the plan is to push through a small
number of quick wins at this year's Council meeting, in particular
changes 2.0(A) and 3.0(A, D, E) in the recent consultation document:

https://cccbr.org.uk/services/methods/2017-consultation/

Here is a draft of the Decision wording changes we're proposing -
comments on their technical accuracy and effectiveness please. Note that
3.0(D) is quite a bit longer, so I'll send that in a separate email.

Change 2.0(A)
=============
- Widen the definition of a Method by allowing them to be false in the
plain course:

Delete the word "true" from Decision (E) A.2.

Note that this will entail recategorising a number of "Blocks" as
methods, which will be done in collaboration with the bands who rang
them. Last time we agreed with the conductor just to leave "Block" as
part of the method name.

Change 3.0(A)
=============
- Relax the requirement for bells to be heard outside the tower, and
- Allow peals on simulators (but still requiring human ringers):

Replace Decision (D) A.6 with, "For simulated tower bell peals, the
simulated bells shall all be rung full circle-style by human ringers.
For simulated handbell peals, the simulated bells shall all be rung in
alternating up-strokes and down-strokes by human ringers."

Change 3.0(E)

- Relax the requirement that “Any shift or error in ringing shall be
corrected immediately":

Change Decision (D) A.10 to read, "Any shift or error in ringing shall
be corrected as quickly as possible.”

- Relax the requirement that says “No error in calling shall be
corrected later than during the change at which the call or change of
method ... would properly take effect”:

Change Decision (D) A.9 to read, "Errors in calling shall be corrected
as quickly as possible."