[r-t] Methods Committee proposed change 3.0(D)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Mar 21 22:58:16 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> OK we have an alternate formulation for change 3.0(D), which sticks
> more closely to the current format in the existing Decisions, whilst
> implementing most of the changes (but not the Triples and Major
> allowed to be assessed for truth at the different stages).

This seems a retrograde step:

> First we require an addition to D(A), "Conditions required for all peals":
>
> 16. A peal shall comprise true changes. This means that none of the
> possible rows for the stage in question shall appear more than once
> more than any other of the possible rows.

This sentence, as written, appears to trump sections 5(a) and 5(b), below,
and disallow plenty of currently legal peals of doubles and minor (and
minimus and doubles, though I think those are less frequently rung in
practice). If it doesn't overrule them it certainly conflicts with them,
which is also Not A Good Idea.

> 5. Peals of “Minimus and Doubles”, “Doubles and Minor” and “Minor
> and Triples” shall be rung on five, six and seven bells respectively
> and shall consist of at least 5040 changes rung in any combination
> of the following, each starting from rounds:‐
>
> (a) Lower stage round blocks with the tenor as cover that comprise
> true changes at the lower stage when taken together.
>
> (b) Higher stage round blocks, which includes lower stage round
> blocks rung with variable cover bells, that comprise true changes at
> the higher stage when taken together.

"The only obligation to which in advance we may hold a novel,
without incurring the accusation of being arbitrary, is that it
be interesting."      -- Henry James, _Partial Portraits_