[r-t] Methods Committee proposed change 3.0(D)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Mar 22 02:23:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> Possibly; but isn't this easily corrected by, for example:
>
> "16. A peal shall comprise true changes. This means that none of the
> possible rows for each effective stage shall appear more than once
> more than any other of the possible rows. The effective stages for
> different categories of peals are defined in section 5 below."

No, I don't think so. A peal of doubles and minor requires bits of 5(a) and
of 5(b), but together they do not meet the requirement of 16, even in its
modified form, since it says the whole peal has to contain N or N+1
instances of each of its rows.

"That just goes to show that you never know, although what it is we
never know I suspect we'll never know."    -- Terry Pratchett, _Snuff_