[r-t] Compressed Methods

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Thu May 18 13:02:46 UTC 2017

> From: "Philip Earis" <pje24 at cantab.net>
> Are you aware of Double Coslany Bob Major?  This was first pealed in
1939,
> and is perhaps a more natural compression of Bristol Major:
>
> In Double Coslany, the right-place symmetric sections of Bristol major
(eg
> x5x) are compressed to their dominant element (x), the wrong-place
> symmetric sections (eg 5x5) are compressed to their dominant element
(5),
> and the notation when the treble moves between dodging positions is
> preserved. The result is:
>
> Bristol        x5x4.5x5.36.4x4.5x4x1,8  [m]
> Double Coslany x4.5.36.4.5x1, 8  [m]
>
> Double Coslany is a gem of a method.

There are also the expansions of Bristol:

Eryri Surprise Major
x5x5x4.5x5x5.36.4x4x4.5x4x4x1,8  [m]
First rung in tower on 19 November 1935 at Bushey.
http://www.ringing.org/method/?notation=x5x5x4.5x5x5.36.4x4x4.5x4x4x1%2C8&stage=8

Champion Surprise Major
x5x5x5x4.5x5x5x5.36.4x4x4x4.5x4x4x4x1,8  [m]
First rung in tower on 21 July 1980 at Hungerford.
http://www.ringing.org/method/?notation=x5x5x5x4.5x5x5x5.36.4x4x4x4.5x4x4x4x1%2C8&stage=8

and some compositions of them all:
http://www.allton.org.uk/racomps/pages/compositions.php?stageid=8&classid=P&method=Spliced
http://ajcpeals.uk/spl8.html#bcde24_1
http://ajcpeals.uk/spl8.html#bcde84_1
http://www.ringing.org/peals/major/plain/#8532

I doubt whether expansions work well for many other methods though.

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.