[r-t] Extension question

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Nov 6 18:20:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
wrote:
> If you look at related methods under
> https://complib.org/method/26928, you will see that there are other
> candidate extension constructions, but none going to Royal, which
> was Don's example. That's why I said that it was unique. It is not a
> requirement in the decisions, but I also would have thought that an
> extension construction that works at every stage would normally be
> preferred over one that didn't.

Ah, so a band ringing the royal *could* name it something else if they
chose, as one of the other extension paths, albeit not one with a stop
along the way in royal, could then be called Semiquincentenary. And, in
that case, no method at royal could then be called Semiquincentenary
Alliance Royal. Right?

"The important thing to know about an assassination or an
attempted assassination is not who fired the shot, but who
paid for the bullet.   -- Eric Ambler, _A Coffin for Dimitrios_