[r-t] Practical Extension

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 1 14:41:43 UTC 2018

> From: Pip Dillistone <tuftyfrog at gmail.com>
>
> Hear hear.
>

> In hindsight, if it's really that difficult to codify permissiveness
> (an oxymoron if ever I heard one) then the whole thing should just
> be got rid of.
'Got rid of'
so do you mean either no extension names at all, or first to name wins?
Anything else will have more rules.

"What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

so methods names shouldn't matter, but they do.

So long as you don't rename the methods they commonly ring, most
ringers do not care much about names.

Of the rest, some think they have the right to name a method as they
see fit, and of those some think that every other ringer should
then refer to their method by their chosen name.
It is permissive for them, but dictatorial to others who want to
see some logic to the system.

I don't see a way to keep everyone happy.

--
Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.