[r-t] Practical Extension

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 19:59:58 UTC 2018

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 at 18:25, Pip Dillistone <tuftyfrog at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the consensus is that Bristol is just 'too difficult', then I'd have
> said that was reason enough to throw in the towel!

Bristol isn't too difficult - there is a solution!

The current extension algorithm works for Bristol starting with Royal, but
the underlying problem affecting Major is that the current extension
algorithm is based upon repeating a section starting at handstroke. This
supports extension of right place dodging (in a TD method) perfectly well,
but it does not properly support wrong dodging. Yet natural extension by
wrong dodging would also be supported just by starting the section to be
repeated at backstroke. Look at the Bristol place notation in the image
below. The four place sections expand naturally (using the existing
algorithm) from Major to Royal to Maximus and beyond just by starting them
at backstroke. It requires no zero dodge exception.

[image: image.png]

This is one of the things I want a review to look at, as in addition to
solving the Bristol conundrum, it could also provide more natural
extensions for other methods with wrong hunting/dodging.

Graham