[r-t] Practical Extension

Hayden Charles hcharles at grandsire.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 19:15:40 UTC 2018

Pip Dillistone wrote on 03/08/2018 18:24:
> Oh now come on. Bristol is perhaps the simplest surprise method you
> could possibly ask for, extension-wise,

In ancient times it was not always felt to be so. To give you an idea,
look at the 'Bristol' chapter in Bob Smith's book 'Standard Methods'. It
says: 'Bristol like London, Superlative and Rutland does not extend
perfectly onto all numbers although there are extensions to Royal and
Maximus which carry the name Bristol'.

The reservation is there because the extensions of Bristol do not
preserve the extending-lead of Bristol Major. Book was published in
1980, based on a series of articles which appeared in the RW a few years
before.

Not saying that I agree with those sentiments!

Hayden Charles