[r-t] Practical Extension

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jul 29 16:52:41 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 11:28 AM Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> I have no way of checking indefinacy. This is what computers were
> made for.

No, Ι don’t think that’s true. As they are usually used computers are good
for checking lots of stages, but that’s not the same as infinite. I suppose
a theorem proving affair might be constructed that could help, but (a) I’m
unaware of anyone applying such technology to extension, and (b) it would
almost certainly not be universally applicable, only helpful in some cases.

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents
and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents
eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar
with it.”     — Max Planck, “A Scientific Autobiography”, tr Frank Gaynor