[r-t] Welcome to a new world?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Jun 1 15:07:56 BST 2019

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 9:45 AM Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Why would anyone call it Plain Bob anyway?

Apparently because it didn’t fit the definition of what the then members of
the Methods Committee had defined a method to be, and they thought the
proper solution was, rather than updating their definition to reflect what
people chose to ring, instead to either proscribe ringing it, or to smash
it into some other form that did fit their definition. Thankfully, as of
today, we can ring it and describe it as folks actually do without
incurring the wrath of that corner of the Council.

“To think of the universe as a whole rather than of something within
the universe is one of the two most ambitious tasks that thought can
undertake. Nothing matches it in ambition other than our attempts to
form a view of ourselves.”
       – Roberto Mangabeira Unger and Lee Smolin
             /The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time/